Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Those Rascely Rabbits

The bunnies in our yard are bold.

Planting my Square Foot Garden last weekend drew a crowd of suspicious on-lookers. The retired couple that lives behind us came to watch over the fence with their nine year old granddaughter and a well-fed cocker spaniel. Daddy, my parents and Hannah were also out there to witness the momentous occasion and chatting with the neighbors. Hannah helped me plant the lettuce seeds. My garden is positioned only about five feet from the fence line. While we were all standing around or poking holes for seeds and gabbing up a storm, along came Mr. Bunny. He got within ten feet of the lot of us and was happily munching weeds before we noticed him. Only after we all turned around to look at him did he appear to be concerned with our presence. It took Hannah running straight toward him before he finally skedaddled. (Can you believe that last word is actually in my spell-checker?)

Earlier she had walked slowly toward a mommy bunny who was guarding the bunny hole near Daddy's trailer. She was only a couple of feet away when simultaneously I hollered at Hannah to to stop in her tracks and the bunny ran off. I'm not sure if she scared the rabbit off or if I did. What is up with these bunnies? Needless to say there is a multitude, because the multiply like, uh, rabbits.

Anyhow, after work yesterday when Hannah and I went out to water the garden (this time without locking ourselves out and Faith in) I discovered that the bunnies have been munching my marigolds. I peered through the fence to our neighbors flower bed and saw they had been much more destructive to her marigolds, eating them to the ground. I thought marigolds were supposed to deter rabbits. At least they didn't eat my tomato plants. That would have meant war!

There is talk of rabbit traps amongst the neighbors( :0 ) . I attract puzzled looks and grimacing glances when I admit that I like the wildlife: including birds and bunnies, bees and wasps; and naturally occurring plants, like dandelions. Gasp! I even plant things like peppermint and irises. Mere weeds in the eyes of my husband who follows a lawn fertilizing schedule religiously and alternates directions each time he mows.

I guess I'll have to put up a fence of chicken wire around my garden. Blasted wabbits!

3 comments:

ChickenMama said...

Although we do have rabbits, we also have dogs and cats to keep them at bay. Our big problem is deer. They are very destructive and quite prolific. They also are bold.

I hate to tell you, but I'm not sure chicken wire is going to keep them out. Maybe if you make a pile of kitchen waste or something outside the fence for them, they will leave the actual garden alone. Good luck.

Dreamer said...

Yes. My compost pile is in the same corner of the yard that the garden is. Hopefully they'll find enough to munch on there and leave my garden alone. But I'm not counting on it.

Dreamer said...

So far so good. We put the chicken wire around the SFG and stapled it to the wooden frame at the bottom. The fence then stands a little over 3 feet high. So far, no rabbits have gotten in. We'll keep our fingers crossed.