After all my grand plans, time spent researching homeschools, talking it over with my husband and family, the budgeting nightmares and a fair bit of tears, I have come to the conclusion that we will be sending Hannah to public school for Kindergarten in the fall.
The fact is, I can't quit my job right now. We still owe money and they economy is in terrible shape. I'm afraid of what the future holds in regard to the economy. I think we are going to get a real wake up call here in this country. I'm worried about keeping a roof over my family's head and food on the table.
Nothing has changed for us financially. But with unemployment at record highs, finding a job will be more difficult should either of us loose ours. In the mean time, we would need to have large cushion of money in the bank or we would need to be able to cover our expenses with the second earner's income. We don't have a large cushion, we are trying to pay off debt. That leaves the second option. So unless I can come up with some way to make the equivalent of my income at home, I can't quit. And paying for a private school in this environment doesn't make much sense either.
Listen to me whine! Some mothers don't know where they'll find food for their children and I'm upset that I'll have to send my child to a perfectly wonderful school, just a 1/2 mile from our home.
When you put it in perspective it seems ridiculous, but to me it is the failure to achieve my dream. Yes, I know, maybe the situation will change in a couple of years. The truth is I've been saying that for a couple of years already.
2 comments:
Do not fear, I pray that you will find peace now that you've made your decision. There is no one way to school. Maybe you could network to seek out other Christian families who go there.
It's what you learn among family that is most important anyway. And anything humanistic that may arise can be a great discussion starter at family devotions.Some children actually become stronger in learning sound doctrine this way.And with ANY form of schooling- including homeschooling-you must pray, pray,pray!
God bless
Claire
I agree, we are still the most influential people in our girls' young lives. They know that we don't agree with every aspect of our culture and that God is the ultimate authority on all things, regardless of popular opinion. I suspect they will have ample opportunity to learn this whether they homeschool or go to public school. I too am hoping that having made a decision will result in peace regarding this issue.
Post a Comment