Friday, May 23, 2008

Nicknames

Do you have nicknames for your kids? When I was little my parents called me all sorts of things. The one OKC cuz likes to remember is "Moncie Baby". "Moncie" would be short for Monster, of course. Not that I WAS a monster child or anything. Me? Huh!

We are not very original with our nicknames. Hannah, of course, is Hannah Banana...or Nanners, or Banana Baby and sometimes even Banana Butt (poor child, it has nothing to do with her actual butt). Faith...nothing rhymes with Faith. When she was first born, Hannah called her Faif or Faiffy (pronounced FAY-FEE), and that has stuck. Every now and then it even becomes Faiffy Waiffy. While she may not have great nicknames associated with her actual name she already gets a lot of jokes. Like when she was just a few months old and moved her carseat across the table at a restaurant, my FIL and I joked that all it takes is a "Little Faith" to move a mountain. But, because of Matthew 6:30, 8:26, 16:8, etc., while I often refer to Hannah as "Little Hannah", I never call Faith "Little Faith". It's always "Sweet Faith".

I've never been a fan of made-up nicknames. They should come about because of really events in family life. I remember a cousin who decided that "T-Bone" would be a really neat nickname for his son. Everyone kept asking why he was called that and his father had no answer, just that it was a cool. It never really caught on.

Now I do like those generic nicknames that some older people call all children by because they can't remember their names. Our back door neighbor calls the kids "Scooter". I had a friend whose much older adult brother called us all "Rattler". Daddy calls kids, even ours sometimes, by "Squirt Tail".

So what do you call your kids or your husband? Of course, what one calls their hubby is a whole nother post, but let's just say that if I called out "Love Bunny", Daddy would know who I was talking to. ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a fun post, OK, lets see...my hubby would answer to, Richie and Honey Bunny. Delaney is Laney Bug, Baby Bug, Waney Baby, Bugger Bear, The Bug, etc. Dylan is little man, Baby D, Dylan Boy, Baby Man, etc.

I just got back from Bowlegs. The Mares are doing pretty good. The babies are OK, but we have a few concerns. Thunder is about 3 weeks old, he cut his lip and won't let us doctor it. I know that sounds funny, but we can't catch him. Today, Janie was leaning over the railing and bit Thunder on the back really hard. We were able to doctor that, but we can't get to his mouth. Lightning we don't think is eating enough. He is growing a little, but still looks pretty scrawny. We don't think Janie is letting him eat enough. I think Mom is going to call the vet tomorrow. Wish we knew more about what we were doing. Love Ya Monster BABY!! And yes, this nickname rhymes with nothing in your name, you came by this nickname quite honestly... but you were so cute, no on really cared that you were a little terror!!!! Just kidding.

Dreamer said...

It is tough worrying about baby animals, just ask Chickenmama. The other moms can sometimes be rough on little babies and need to be separated. Some can be less than motherly to their own babies. Let us know what the vet has to say.

Actually, my mom informs me it was "Moncie-poo". Isn't that sweet? :-P

ChickenMama said...

We are nickname people so I might not even be able to remember them all. Most notably, Benjamin was Shortstack since he was a little version of his Daddy. He's also been B-Boy, Bubbie. Rachel has been R-ski, Rack-a-Doodle, and RR. Lydia has been Itty Bitty Lyddie since her birth, though she has never been small for her age. Now, she is often just Bitty. There have been so many more, but those are the only ones that come to mind at the moment.
Joe's poor handwriting has resulted in some interesting addressee names on the mail. From some of the trade magazines he gets, you'd think he was from the country of India.
On a similar note, we once got a pre-approved platinum card application for our dog. We gave serious thought to stamping her paw on it and returning it just to see what would happen.

Dreamer said...

Rack-a-Doodle reminds of another nickname for Daddy and that is Papa-Doodle or Pappi-Doodle. That's Hannah and I call him sometimes.