Monday, April 28, 2008

Playing Teacher

Babysitting is much easier if you facilitate activities to keep children busy. Yesterday in addition to my two girlies, our niece spent the afternoon at our house. The two older girls got to spend time together while I got to play at being "teacher". Luckily the littlest girl took a long nap. ;)

Daddy declared the letter "S" to be the Letter of the Day! So I went to about.com and printed a "S Book" for each girl to color while we talked about all the words we could think of that starts with the letter S. After they were done coloring we designated an "S" sack (sack by the way starts with the letter S) and I gathered 10 or so things from around the house. Then they had to work together to decide which items starts with the letter S and put them in the sack. Hannah wanted to put them all in, but her older cousin was wise and sounded them all out. After that we spent lots of time cutting shapes out of construction paper and gluing paper together. We each made a house by cutting a door and windows out of a full sheet of paper, then decorating the house with a roof, curtains, bushes and shutters cut with scalloped and zig zag scissors. I even cut out miniature clothes and drew a clothes line to "hang" them on. I must confess, I had a lot of fun creating with scissors and paper. It has been a LONG time since I've played like that.

After all this fun, the girls rested in the living room while watching a Disney movie. (I did laundry, what joy!) At the end, we did the movie trivia game in the bonus material where we had to correctly answer 16 questions about the movie to see a special video prize. Hannah, having seen this movie multiple times, knew all the answers and her cousin got most of them right too.

Finally, when nap/rest time was over. All three girls and I gathered around the kitchen table to read devotions and talk about God, who Jesus is and how he can change a person on the inside. Hannah offered that we call Jesus our Lord and my niece demonstrated how to pray and ask Jesus into your life. They are very smart little preschoolers.

We were just about to start mixing a cake to bake when my brother and sister in law returned to pick up their daughter. So we all went to dinner together instead. (We should have done the cake first and served it for desert. Maybe next time :)

All in all it was an enjoyable afternoon for all of us. (Daddy got to escape the estrogen-fueled events and mow the lawn.) Only when we ran out of organized activities did the girls get too loud and rambunctious. Thankfully they are good kids and the squabbles were kept to a minimum. Almost makes me want to have another...hint, hint, Daddy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get it out of your head! We are done! Enjoy them now, they are only little once.

Dreamer said...

Oh, Anonymous, you say that so definitively. :)

How would you know I love you if I didn't tease you now and again?

ChickenMama said...

Sounds like a great day. So glad you had that time together.