Everyone in my house is taking turns being sick with a sinus infection. Yesterday, it was my turn. I came home from work and flopped on the couch to sleep. When I got there Daddy was watching the news. Then, Daddy took the girls to Taco Bell for dinner and I turned the TV off.
After eating the burrito that Daddy and the girls brought home for me, I went to bed. Hannah sat on my bed for a while and sang a song to help me feel better. Isn't she sweet? Then, just before 7 am I hear the door to the girls' room open. Soon Hannah is standing next to my bed. "It's mornin' time, Mommy."
Hannah and I had breakfast before Faith woke up. After breakfast, instead of watching cartoons, we snuggled up in the recliner and cuddled. Hannah has loved to be all snuggled up and cuddled every since she was a baby. I did/do too. My mom said I liked to "waller". That has a whole 'nother connotation doesn't it? As you can tell, my mom is NOT a cuddler.
Any way, this all means no television was watched by me yesterday and very little (an hour or so) for Hannah. And instead of TV we had cuddle time, a much better alternative.
3 comments:
I have so enjoyed it when our family turns off the tv. It is a much calmer atmosphere in our home. However, I also enjoy using the tv as a tool in our family. Last night my husband was in North Carolina with 2 of our sons watching our oldest son play football. Due to the heat and time involved, I decided to stay home with our youngest two children. We watched Charlotte's Web together all curled up on the couch. It was a fun way to end a busy week. I hope you feel better soon!
grace and peace,
julie
I too use television as a tool. Over the weekend we watched our 4 year old niece. Hannah and she had a great time. They sorted and scooped dry beans. They helped me fold laundry. We played ring around the rosy and skip to my lou. Finally, when when Mommy was all tired out, we had quiet time and watched a Charlie Brown movie. :) Television has it's uses. I can't deny that.
It's obviously been too long since I've gotten over here to catch up. I didn't realize when I commented in my email the other day that you were revamping your your TV watching. AGAIN, we are remarkably similar.
Joe and I decided to turn off the TV when we moved here because we found that what consumed our thought life wasn't "noble, pure, lovely, admirable, praiseworthy," etc. (Phillipians 4:8). It's done us a world of good. The kids, however, aren't motivated as much to give it up, thus the earning system I told you about by email. They have to do chores to earn tokens redeemable for parent-approved TV time. We usually have one weekly family movie night that they don't have to pay for and if I find something educational that reinforces our school work (like Reading Rainbow), they watch that for "free" too.
Glad you are enjoying the TV-free time!
Post a Comment