Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Spring Has Sprung!

"Hope springs eternal." Who said that? It was probably Shakespeare. Never the less, that is the theme of today's post. I've been ruminating on this post for a week a so. However, now that I've returned to work I'm feeling a little less hopeful, but I shall carry on despite the momentary dull-drums I'm currently experiencing.

Recent rains have transformed the local landscape. The grass is no longer dormant, but that brilliant shade of green seen only in the first weeks of spring. It is growing thicker and taller and will soon have to be mowed. (Actually, Daddy has already mowed our lawn thanks to the fertilizers he put down. Twice!) The dandelions dare to show their yellowy heads. The tulips and jonquils planted in the bed near our front walk have bloomed, much to Hannah's delight. The lilies and mint are on their way back from the cold days of winter and the robins have returned from their southern escape.

Everywhere you look are signs of the warming weather - signs of hope. The once bare branches of shrubs and trees have budded and their tender leaves are beginning to open. The darkness of winter retreats and the promise of summer is in the air. Barrenness is replaced with new life.

As Easter is upon us, it will bode well for us to look beyond nature to the true source of hope: the creator of all nature, our Father in heaven. For even though they hung him on the cross to die, Jesus arose from the grave. Through his resurrection, Christ has given us hope eternal. For he has conquered death and all its darkness. All we must do is believe. Like the astilbe and irises in my flower gardens, we too shall survive the harsh winter on this earth. Through our faith in Jesus, we will be resurrected to new life in heaven.

No comments: