Friday, November 24, 2006

Commercial Christmas

It is sad to see this religious holiday turned into a mere commercial holiday. So many Americans are following along with all the merchant's and manufacturer's schemes. Take TMX Elmo for instance. According to news reports, it is impossible to find that toy on the shelves at local retailers so parents have taken to the internet, buying on Ebay and like websites paying many times over what the toy is worth. I am always amazed at the lengths some parents go to just to get that year's hot toy for their child. I also wonder how much is just media hype. But that's just my point. This is what this holiday has been reduced to.

One commercial on TV shows two kids screaming uncontrollably, crying and jumping around the tree after opening a prized gift. Then says something like "If this the reaction you're hoping for, shop at X". I am so totally turned off by such apparent greed and desire for material wealth that if my children ever react that way on Christmas morning it will be a defintie indicator that it's time to adjust our family priorities. I'd like them to enjoy their gifts and I hope to get them something they've wished for, but honestly it can be taken too far. I can remember one year I thought if I circled the things I wanted in newspaper ads and left them for my parents to find that I'd be more likely to get some of the things I wanted for Christmas. My plan backfired. My parents thought the same way I do now. They made it a point not to buy for me ANY of the items I'd circled. And now I'm glad they didn't. It was a good lesson to learn.

I have as much work to do in this area as anyone. I tend to buy more gifts than I know is appropriate because I want give in equal proportion as I recieve. Wouldn't it be nice if we could give just one thoughtful gift to each person on our list? I think that would put Christmas back in perspective.

For me, Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Christ and remember the gift of salvation that is ours through belief in Him. I also enjoy the general good will of the public during this time and enjoy happy memories made with my family. Looking back I don't remember many of the presents I got for Christmas. I remember the dinners, surrounded by family. I remember the snowball fights and sled rides. I remember the connections made and good spirits shared most of all.

No comments: