Midterms are over. I took them both last week. One took less than 30 minutes, the other, two and a half hours. I also turned in a 15 page typed "workbook". I am dying to find out what my grade is on the workbook for which I analyzed, wrote summaries for and gave personal responses to several poems and short stories. I don't expect to get it back this week though - too soon. I'm hoping for an A in both classes.
Now I'm reading Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood for my Women's Lit class. I just started last week and I have just two more days to finish it so I can discuss it with the novel group I've been assigned to. It's an easy and fairly quick read, although it is depressing. I know it is supposed to be insightful and such, but really it is just the story of a sad woman who has been deceived by the world and does not know Christ. Well, I haven't gotten to the end yet, but I don't hold out much hope for redemption. However, we could have been assigned a much worse book, so I should feel lucky.
Hannah's babysitter and her daughter went to church with me and Hannah this Sunday. It was nice to sit with someone during the service. But it's always a little scary to see the church and people you love through someone else's eyes. I don't think she liked it too much as our church is very subdued and is attended by mostly older people. That's OK. These people have accepted me and Hannah and that's what matters. They were also genuinely warm and welcoming to my guests and that's what I love about them. I don't think my guests will be coming back, but I hope they do. Time will tell.
I had my first real glimpse into the kindness of Hannah's heart at church. The babysitter's daughter can be a bit of a bully at times and this Sunday was no exception. She and Hannah both had a nickel and some pennies, but Sarah tried to take Hannah's, and did until her mom made her give them back. Next, even though I had given a baggie of teddy grahams to both girls, Sarah tried to take Hannah's after she had finished with her own. Hannah protested, of course. I suggested to Hannah that she should be nice and share the rest with her friend. Much to my delight, she did. One for Hannah, one for Sarah until they were all gone, despite the fact the Sarah was grabbing bullyishly at the cookies as Hannah offered them to her. Hannah even offered to share her water with her friend. I told her later how proud I was of her for being so kind even if her friend was not as nice as she could have been. It is important that she always maintain good behavior despite what those around her are doing. I was just so pleased to see her gentle and kind spirit coming out in actions. She's a very good girl. And I'm a proud momma! :) Overall, both girls behaved very well for their ages (under three) and did not disrupt the service in any way. I told Sarah that I was proud of her too, for being quiet during the sermon and minding her mother.
No comments:
Post a Comment