Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A Human Embryo is a Human Being

I wish I had paid more attention to an ad on BOTT Radio this morning. This is what I remember: Announcer: Dr. Chung knows that a human embryo is a human being. Dr. Chung: If an embryo is not human then we can do anything we want with it. But if it is human then it becomes a moral issue. I'll go about this scientifically. An embryo has 46 chromosomes. It doesn't matter if it is implanted into a woman's uterus using Invitro Fertilization (IVF) or created through Somatic Cell Nuclear Transfer (SCNT), it has 46 chromosomes. If we match that DNA what do we match it to? Homo Sapien. A human being. The difference is that it is age appropriate. An embyro is the earliest development stage of a human being.

That ought to be enough. How can someone justify taking one life for another. Or sacrificing thousands upon thousands of lives to possibly find a cure that might save thousands of others. Is one life more important than another? Who decides?

No comments: